Monday, February 2, 2009

The New Old Shawn

So things are different here at the homestead, better in a ton of ways but definitely an adjustment.
I put my foot down on Saturday and stuck to my guns, I left, boycotted dinner, turned off my ringer and went for a 6 and 1/2 hour ride. Me in my shitbox Jeep, that I love, windows open, fresh cold air blasting in, and listening to Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" 1/2 of a dozen times.

It was great. I stopped along the way splurged and bought myself a Lg. Hot Cappuccino, no sugar, skim milk. What made the concoction even sweeter is that I paid for it with quarters I stole from Shawn's change jar !

When I got back we had a "talk", I told him that I need full disclosure, no bullshit, it's not fair. He agreed. I told him if he ever tried to make me doubt myself, if he tried to convince that what I was wrong about what I knew was right again, I would not be back in 6 1/2 hours. F'er. He's an Effer alright, but I find him totally irresistible.

Want to read something that will make you say "Awwww" seriously, I'll probably go to hell for sharing this but when I was out for my ride, Shawn had texted me a bunch of times, I didn't respond until 8 'ish, he asked me when I was coming home, I texted him back "Why?" and he texted me this: "Because I miss you and I love you and if your not here I can't make things better." He's a sweet talker alright.


So Shawn is back to his spunky old self, he's a challenge, he makes me work in this relationship. It's weird our dynamic is new I think. He couldn't breathe for so long he didn't participate in much anymore, he couldn't. I guess I didn't realize how much had changed, he was a ghost of himself.

That's exactly how I would describe it, like Shawn's light had been fading for the last four years, from November of 04 when we first moved into our house until November of 2008, until transplant.
We were talking about this and I told him that when he was transplanted, it was like he got new batteries. Like when you put new batteries in a flashlight and that dim light becomes super bright. That is what it's like, Shawn is back "on" again. He's funny and cocky, he moves very quickly, he eats like a pig, he cooks dinner, fixes snacks, delegates chores to Sara and insures they are completed, he goes grocery shopping and makes phone calls.
He is reconnecting with friends, reconnecting with life really. He makes me laugh and cry, and he frustrates me and he amazes me. He's arrogant and frightened. He is a super smart-ass, super fresh, super sweet.

Transplant is a funny and amazing and wonderful thing.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am so glad you have your energizer bunny back ;)